Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Reporting: Vice President of Finance and Administration
Summary and Scope of Position:
The Director of Facilities Management and Services will be instrumental in leading the department in their commitment to planning, developing, and maintaining a safe, sustainable, and high quality learning and working environment for the campus community to support the mission of Ursinus College
Reporting directly to the Vice President of Finance and Administration, the Director of Facilities is responsible for the planning, design, construction, engineering, maintenance, and operation of campus buildings, real estate, grounds, utility systems, and supporting infrastructure of approximately 1.5 million square feet of building space on a 170 acre site. This means that developing a service ethos, including customer request and feedback protocols, and ensuring prompt but efficient delivery of services is a primary focus for the Director. The Director is also responsible for campus capital outlay, capital renewal, deferred maintenance, and non-maintenance programs. The Director provides oversight of Capital Programs and Facilities Management and includes the following operations: Campus Planning, Capital Project Management, Engineering, Event Support and Facilities Operations/Services. The Director plays an instrumental role in cross-functional future planning, as well as in the maintenance of strong relations with the President’s Office, city, county, and other agencies. Acting on behalf of the Trustees, the Director serves as the Deputy Building Official for the campus.
- Directs the maintenance, renovation and construction of campus facilities, including buildings, grounds, utilities & roads
- Represents the college on facilities matters within and beyond the college community, including local and state regulatory agencies
- Directs the planning for all facilities projects, including the development of requests for qualifications and requests for proposals
- Integrates short- and long-term needs, understanding spatial requirements and desired adjacencies, looking for overlaps with managing deferred and cycle maintenance
- Orchestrates a departmental interview process to identify programmatic and building needs and maintaining a project inventory that allows for reporting on the state of the Physical plant
- Directs the management of all facilities projects and programs
- Directs the work of architects, engineers, and contractors engaged in facilities projects and programs
- Directs the following functions for the college: Soft Services to include Mail Services, Furniture Purchases, Transportation, and contractual services, including janitorial services
- Directs the operation of administrative systems required to support the facilities function
- Devise ongoing reporting on the College’ greenhouse gas inventory, developing key performance Indicators and working in close coordination with the Director of Sustainability to help implement conservation programs
- Identify high return energy conservation, renewable measures, and procurement strategies
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field
- 10 years’ experience in facilities management
- Must have cursory knowledge of federal, state, and local environmental and safety laws sufficient to perform all related job functions (OSHA, EPA, ADA, NRC, ANSI, and NFPA)
- Must have knowledge of computer operations sufficient to perform all job functions • Must have excellent interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills and the demonstrated ability to manage timetables and detailed paper work • Must possess physical mobility sufficient to tour campus, climb ladders and steps, and to reach all sites requiring inspection and the ability to lift in excess of 20 pounds
- Must have good hearing and speaking skills
- Must be able to adapt to new work situations, people, ideas, procedures, and organizational structures, in order to accommodate an evolving work environment • Must be able to build successful relationships with constituents and coworker and to communicate and work effectively as a team member in order to maximize the effectiveness of the office
- Must be mature, reliable, composed, and stable under pressure in order to handle on-the-job challenges
- Must be able to work collaboratively and in a team environment to meet the short and long term strategic goals of the college
- Must be able to understand and abide by a high standard of professional ethics in order to ensure the integrity of the organization
- Must be able to work successfully with diverse others and uphold the College’s commitment to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action, in order to help the organization realize its commitment to excellence through diversity
- Master’s degree in engineering, management-facility or business preferred
- Certification as Certified Facility Manager from IFMA or similar preferred Other Duties:
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Job responsibilities and activities may be modified or changed at any time with or without notice. Job descriptions will be audited periodically by the Ursinus Human Resources department to ensure they are up-to-date and reflect the essential responsibilities and duties of the job.
Ursinus AA/EO Statement:
Ursinus is an AA/EO employer. Ursinus College does not discriminate on grounds of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or other classification protected by applicable law in the administration of any of its educational programs or activities or with respect to employment.